The Lawn Tennis Association of Australasia was formulated in 1904 in order for Australasia to be eligible to contest the Davis Cup competition and for Australia to host the region's Championships. 1926 saw a name change to Lawn Tennis Association of Australia and Sir Norman Brookes became President for 29 years. It became the Australian Championships in 1927 and the Australian Open in 1969.
- The Australian Open was first played at the Warehouseman's Cricket Ground in St Kilda Road, Melbourne in 1905 as The Australasian Championships
- Since 1905, the Australian Open has been staged in five different cities: Melbourne (62 times), Sydney (17 times), Adelaide (14 times), Brisbane (8 times), Perth (three times), as well as in New Zealand (two times)
- In 1972 Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club became the permanent home of the Australian Open due to Melbourne attracting the biggest patronage
- In 1984, the Lawn Tennis Association of Australia became a company, and then in 1986 began to trade as Tennis Australia (TA)
- TA is the governing body for the sport of tennis in Australia. The organisation exists to promote tennis and conduct domestic and international tournaments on behalf of Australia, including the Australian Open, Davis Cup and Federation Cup
- TA and the Australian Open moved to its new, permanent home at Flinders Park (now Melbourne Park) in 1988
- The tournament was not held between 1916 and 1918, or 1940 and 1945, due to international conflicts happening at the time.