The Australian Open will set another prize-money record, with an AUD $60.5 million prize money pool in 2019, further demonstrating a commitment to ensure players at all levels are rewarded for their dedication to the sport.
A range of player-friendly initiatives will also be introduced in 2019 following a period of extensive consultation with players and coaches.
Key on-court initiatives for Australian Open 2019 include:
- Prize money increased to AUD $60.5 million
- 25 second Serve Clock for all main draw matches
- Electronic Review System on all 16 match courts
- Maintaining 32 seeds in the main draw and in qualifying for both men and women
- Heat Stress Index to replace Extreme Heat Policy
- Increased Australian Open qualifying draw for women, from 96 to 128 players
- Qualifying tournament to start a day earlier, on Tuesday 8 January
- Continued trial of coaching in qualifying and juniors
- Tie Break Tens returns to MCA on Wednesday 9 January
- High-profile practice matches to be held at MCA on each day of qualifying.